This year the Daniel Fast will be all day, every day from January 14, 2018 through February 3, 2018.
The Daniel Fast is based upon the prophet Daniel’s experiences as recorded in the Bible. Scripture gives us some insight (such as in Dan. 10:3) into what he ate and didn’t eat; however, we don’t know his complete menu. What we do know is this: In Daniel 1, Daniel chose not to eat the royal food that he was being served and ate only vegetables and drank water. Another time (in Daniel 10:2-3) he deprived himself of choice food, meat, and wine as he sought the Lord in prayer. Most commentaries believe “choice food” would have been bread and sweets.
This is why, I believe, you will find some variation in the specific guidelines for the modern-day Daniel Fast, as far as what foods are included and which ones are restricted. The food guidelines on this page are the ones most commonly observed in a Daniel Fast. The intention of today’s Daniel Fast is not to duplicate exactly what Daniel did but the spirit in which he did it. Daniel’s passion for the Lord caused him to hunger and thirst more for spiritual food than for physical food, which should be the desire of anyone choosing to participate in this type of fast.
Try not to get too hung up on what you should and shouldn’t eat. The most important part of the Daniel Fast is that you deny yourself physically so that you may seek the Lord in prayer and grow closer to Him. Your fast may look a little different than someone else’s, and that’s fine. Some people may need to be stricter than others in their food choices so that their fast is a sacrifice for them. These food guidelines are meant to be just that – a guide. They are given to help you create boundaries for your fast.
The Daniel Fast Food List
- All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
- All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk. Nut butters are also included.
- All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
- All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
- Beverages – distilled water, filtered water, and spring water.
- Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, soy products, and tofu.
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat & animal products – bacon, beef, buffalo, eggs, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
- All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, milk, and yogurt.
- All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, brown rice syrup, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
- All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey).
- All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
- All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
- All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
- Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea, and tea.
Daniel Fast Food Ideas
As we begin our pursuit of wholesome foods and wholesome words, we’d like to share a Daniel Plan-friendly breakfast recipe. More recipe ideas can be found at our website at visitonecc.com. Apple and Oat Porridge Ingredients: 4 cups water 1 ½ cups oat bran (not...
As we enter the final week of our Daniel Fast, try some of these yummy snack options! Check out visitonecc.com for a full listing of recipe ideas. SNACK OPTIONS • Rice cakes • Rice cakes with peanut butter and raisins • Almonds • Dried fruit including apricots •...
As we enter week 2 of our Daniel Fast, check out a featured recipe idea that would be great for lunch or dinner. More recipes can be found at our website at visitonecc.com. Spinach Zucchini Casserole Ingredients: Sauce – 2 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes or 5-6 large...
As we begin our pursuit of wholesome foods and wholesome words, we'd like to share a Daniel Fast-friendly breakfast recipe. More recipe ideas can be found at our website at visitonecc.com. Tropical Fruit Salad Ingredients: 2 cups sliced strawberries 3 kiwifruit,...
We are in the final week of our Wholesome Foods and Wholesome Words fast. In light of the fast, we would like to share a couple Daniel Fast friendly recipes. Enjoy! BREAKFAST Apple and Oat Porridge Ingredients: 4 cups water 1 ½ cups oat bran (not oatmeal) 1 large...
It's the second week of our Wholesome Foods and Wholesome Words fast and in light of the fast, we would like to share a couple of Daniel Fast friendly recipes: one breakfast and one lunch/dinner. BREAKFAST Brown Rice and Apple Breakfast Ingredients: 1 cup cooked brown...
Because of the Daniel Fast, this week we would like to share a couple of recipes with you to assist you with your fasting. Here is one breakfast and one lunch recipe. BREAKFAST Tofu Breakfast Scramble Ingredients: 1 box firm tofu 1 zucchini, diced small 1 tomato,...