We are in the final week of our Wholesome Foods and Wholesome Words fast. In light of the fast, we would like to share a couple Daniel Fast friendly recipes. Enjoy!
Apple and Oat Porridge
4 cups water
1 ½ cups oat bran (not oatmeal)
1 large apple – peeled/cored and chopped into very small pieces
1/3 cup raisins
½ teaspoon ground caraway seeds
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1. In a 2 quart sauce pan over high heat, bring water to a boil and stir in the oat bran and allow water to return to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook for two minutes – stirring often
3. After two minutes, turn off heat. Stir in the apple, raisins, and spices. Let stand until apple pieces soften – about 5 minutes – stirring occasionally.
4. Divide hot cereal evenly among 4 bowls.
Two Bean Burger
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup great northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp salt
1. Mash beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onion and cook until translucent (tender and see thru).
4. Place onions in bowl with beans and add flaxseed mean, garlic powder, cumin, and salt.
5. Return skillet to medium heat, spray skillet with olive oil spray if needed to prevent burgers from sticking.
6. Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop bean mixture and set in skillet.
7. Flatten with spatula. Cook 5 minutes or until bottom is crispy and brown. Flip and cook other side for 5 minutes.
8. Makes 5 small bean burgers.