It’s the second week of our Wholesome Foods and Wholesome Words fast and in light of the fast, we would like to share a couple of Daniel Fast friendly recipes: one breakfast and one lunch/dinner.
Brown Rice and Apple Breakfast
1 cup cooked brown rice (Use Quinoa instead of rice if you prefer)
1 apple – cut into bite size pieces
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon 100% pure edible coconut oil
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl (except the oil) and heat for 2 minutes.
2. Add oil and stir.
LUNCH OR DINNER
Spinach Zucchini Casserole
Sauce – 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes or 5-6 large tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
½ tablespoon dried basil
½ tablespoon dried oregano
½ tablespoon dried parsley
1 tsp salt
Main – 2-3 medium zucchini, sliced into ½” rounds
3 cups packed fresh spinach, stems removed
1 cup sliced onion
Cooked brown rice, lentils, or quinoa
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If using canned tomatoes, pour tomatoes into small saucepan, and add garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, and salt. Simmer about 10 minutes.
3. While sauce is cooking, prepare vegetables. Use an olive oil spray to lightly coat a 9×13 casserole dish (or simply rub bottom with olive oil).
4. Place zucchini rounds on bottom of dish, stacking extra rounds to make a second layer, if needed.
5. Spread spinach leaves and onion slices on top of zucchini.
6. When sauce is done, pour sauce over all – making sure vegetables are coated with tomatoes and their juice.
7. If using fresh tomatoes, chop tomatoes and place on top of spinach and onions. Mix tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, and salt in a small bowl and pour sauce over all.
8. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Stir well before serving with cooked brown rice, lentils, or quinoa.