As we enter week 2 of our Daniel Fast, check out a featured recipe idea that would be great for lunch or dinner. More recipes can be found at our website at visitonecc.com.
Spinach Zucchini Casserole
2 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes or 5-6 large tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
½ tablespoon dried basil
½ tablespoon dried oregano
½ tablespoon dried parsley
1 tsp salt
2-3 medium zucchini, sliced into ½” rounds
3 cups packed fresh spinach, stems removed
1 cup sliced onion
Cooked brown rice, lentils, or quinoa
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If using canned tomatoes, pour tomatoes into small saucepan, and add garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, and salt. Simmer about 10 minutes.
3. While sauce is cooking, prepare vegetables. Use an olive oil spray to lightly coat a 9×13 casserole dish (or simply rub bottom with olive oil).
4. Place zucchini rounds on bottom of dish, stacking extra rounds to make a second layer, if needed.
5. Spread spinach leaves and onion slices on top of zucchini.
6. When sauce is done, pour sauce over all – making sure vegetables are coated with tomatoes and their juice.
7. If using fresh tomatoes, chop tomatoes and place on top of spinach and onions. Mix tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, and salt in a small bowl and pour sauce over all.
8. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Stir well before serving with cooked brown rice, lentils, or quinoa.